Rob Beard wrote:
> andy wrote:
>>
>> I've been listening to the BIG GREEN IT DEBATE on the register.. and
>> although it's no where nearly finished (more or less just started)..
>> there's already one point I'd love us to discuss.
>>
>> One of the things that comes up when discussing 'Green motors' is what
>> I'd like to introduce as the Land Rover paradox.
>>
>> "70% of all Land Rovers ever made are still on the road."
>>
>> Once you take into account the energy required throughout the life of a
>> car, including assembly and destruction - are Land Rovers actually that
>> bad for the environment.
>>
>> IMHO, ubuntu may fit into the Land Rover, rather than Toyota Prius
>> category, for a number of reasons.
>>
>> 1) Power Management - where are we at with ubuntu at the moment?  My
>> perception (this will/may be wrong) is that much of the onboard power
>> management is managed through propreitary code, therefore ubuntu
>> performs worse that XP.. par example (but much better than Vista.. on a
>> hunch).
>>

> My dual core 'Pentium Dual Core' is happily running at 1.2GHz at the
> moment (slowed down from 1.8GHz), it's independent per core too.  That's
> all controlled by the Powernow Daemon...
>
> Here's the output from powernowd --help
>
> "PowerNow Daemon v0.97, (c) 2003-2005 John Clemens
> Daemon to control the speed and voltage of cpus.
>
> This is a simple client to the CPUFreq driver, and uses
> linux kernel v2.5 sysfs interface.  You need a supported
> cpu, and a kernel that supports sysfs to run this daemon."
>
> Sounds to me like it's GPL'd.
>
> It is controlled by Powernowd too, when I tried to overclock my CPU to
> around 3GHz it kept going back to 1.8GHz/1.2GHz until I disabled
> powernowd which in turn disabled the power saving.
>
> That's better than my desktop PC at work running XP which sometimes
> sounds like a jet engine taking off (it's a Dell Optiplex GX620 with a
> Pentium D 820 (2.8GHz) with power saving turned off in the BIOS).
>
>> 2) Re-use.  Ubuntu saves having to re-buy PCs... However, if the
>> efficiency of the new PC means that it'll use less energy, surely
>> there's an argument that upgrading the hardware is more environmentally
>> efficient  - we need some better data to support the ubuntu approach (if
>> there is indeed one).
>
> Ubuntu can be used in a client/server environment just like Windows
> 2000/2003 Server.  This is what I'm doing at a local community centre in
> Exeter.  We're using a fairly mid spec Dell PowerEdge server with a new
> Intel Xeon Quadcore CPU (2.4Ghz) which will run Ubuntu (or possibly
> Edubuntu) with LTSP.  The client machines are old K6/2 450 machines
> which according to the AMD specs use no more than about 36 watts.  Add
> on the fact that they run completely over the network (no hard drives,
> no optical drives) they don't have any moving parts (apart from the CPU
> & PSU fans) and save energy.  They'll be attached to 19" TFT monitors.

> [...]

I wondered if this applied to my vanilla desktop so I opened a
terminal and typed
powernowd

the response:
powernowd: PowerNow Daemon v0.97, (c) 2003-2006 John Clemens
Go away, you are not root. Only root can run me.

made me smile :-)
Not only is is green, but it has Attitude!
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391