With regard to the original post about cheapvps.co.uk - I signed up
for a month and then swiftly canceled. It seems like there is one guy
who looks after it (they have just had to pull live support as he
can't handle the demand) and when my account was set up with half the
capacity it should have had, the only explanation they offered (2 days
later) was along the lines of "I have changed it now".

To be fair to them, my main reason for canceling was that I didn't
realise just how much system resources are used by simply running an
SQL database - the cheap 128Mb RAM option just can't handle it.