On 3/14/08, Keith Powell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Sean Miller wrote:
> > Updating Ubuntu isn't hard... the update manager will simply tell you
> > "There is a new version available" and do it all for you.
> >
> > Significantly easier than upgrading XP to Vista etc... when new Ubuntu
> > versions come out they generally work... don't need to wait a year for
> > the product to become stable... !
> >

> Sorry, Sean, I couldn't have made it clear.
>
> It's not the actual upgrading Ubuntu that I was commenting on, (no
> problem with that), it was the fact that, if the Ubuntu machine was
> pre-loaded with 7.10, would the warranty be void if I replaced it with
> 8.04 almost immediately, then 8.10 in six month's time. It would be
> something I would check with the manufacturer if I bought a Ubuntu
> machine.

I don't think you get a "Ubuntu Warranty" anyway... the warranty will be for
the hardware side...  and I've never heard of a hardware warranty that was
invalidated by upgrading software...

Regardless, if the "warranty" is protection against misconfiguration or
whatever you'll get far better support from the Ubuntu community than you
will from some hardware supplier call centre.

Sean