Stephen O'Neill wrote:

> Wulfy wrote:
> | Try pressing <AltGR>; e which should give é.  If it does, the other
> | accents are on the punctuation keys around the right end of the keyboard.
>

> This does not work for me and hasn't in the 4 years or so that I've been
> using Linux (Fedora and Ubuntu).
>
> AltGr+e gives e
> Ctrl+Alt+e gives e

Try AltGr+; then e...  just using AltGr+e gives me "e", too...
> This is true for Open Office. It is also true for Text Editor and
> Thunderbird except that Ctrl+Alt produces no text output.

It works in OO.o Writer for me...
> Seeing as we're on this topic I'd be grateful for any suggestions as
> it's a problem that's bugged me for years but never managed to track down.
>
> My keyboard layout is Generic 105-key (Intl) PC according to
> System->Preferences->Keyboard.

Hmmm...  one wrinkle is I'm using Kubuntu rather than Ubuntu... I
thought, perhaps, it's a difference at that level but I just tried it in
console (<Ctrl><Alt><f1>) and it works there, too.

> I have just tried Tony's "Compose key" approach which does actually work
> for me (thank you Tony!). It would be nice to get AltGr working for the
> more common accents but "Compose" is clearly more robust.
I don't know why it's not working for you.  I found this almost by
accident as I was looking to find a way to type accented characters and
specials like "æ", "ð" and "þ"...

--
Blessings

Wulfmann