On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 18:34 +0100, Colin McCarthy wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 5:03 PM, Kris Marsh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>         http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7358483.stm
>
>         It's the top article on the Technology page
>         [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/default.stm], and it
>         was the on
>         the main BBC news page [http://news.bbc.co.uk/] earlier.
>
> I just noticed this too. Was a bit of a surprise.  Maybe the worm
> really is starting to turn :-)

Oh dear, some reading of the article does not give me a sense of
confidence in the BBC's understanding of the topic :P

>From the article:
> ..said Mark Shuttleworth, who leads distribution of the Ubuntu
> operating system (OS)
Wait, he leads distribution? Maybe it's a typo.

> He manages Canonical software, which is the primary sponsor of
> distribution for Ubuntu, and a key element in the platform's
> development.
Ubuntu is *a* distribution, and surely the platform is Linux, not
ubuntu? Might be a bit of a taxonomic moan, but that doesn't seem right.

> The version [Hardy Heron] has also been designed to ... give users the
> chance to try the OS without making radical alterations to their
> current computer set-up.
The liveCD is nothing new to ubuntu, even if trying ubuntu under the
Windows OS is. It's technically not inaccurate, but seems a bit iffy
again.

There's not much in the article that would give a new user any reasons
to try ubuntu rather than stick with Windows; no screenshots, no
technical detail, barely any descriptions of ubuntu features. Of course
for screenshots I presume that the author would have to *use* Linux,
which doesn't appear to be the case. Whether or not the writer has the
technical knowledge and just isn't saying isn't apparent, but he's
hiding it well enough if he does.

It's not brazenly inaccurate, but the article seems to have been written
by someone who began his research by opening Google and typing Lyn^H^H,
"wait, no that's not it..."i-n-u-x... and optimistically clicking "I'm
feeling lucky." The extended version: I'm feeling lucky, and I hope to
god no one that understands half these terms I'm using gets wind of this
article.

Sean.