> Mmm... So, I tried <sudo aptitude remove firefox firefox-3.0> and got
>
> ##########
> The following packages are BROKEN:
>    firefox-3.0-gnome-support ubufox
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>    firefox firefox-3.0
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 3641kB will be freed.
>    ubufox: Depends: firefox but it is not installable or
>                     firefox-3.0 but it is not installable or
>                     firefox-2 but it is not installable
>    firefox-3.0-gnome-support: Depends: firefox-3.0 (=
> 3.0~b5+nobinonly-0ubuntu3) but it is not installable
> Resolving dependencies...
> The following actions will resolve these dependencies:
>
> Remove the following packages:
> firefox-3.0-gnome-support
> firefox-gnome-support
> ubuntu-desktop
>
> Install the following packages:
> firefox-2 [2.0.0.14+2nobinonly-0ubuntu1 (hardy)]
>
> Score is 248
>
> Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?]
> ##########
>
> Well, I was a not very confident about agreeing to the removal of
> ubuntu-desktop:  it looks a bit important.  Anyone got any advice?
>
> Of course, perhaps Al's solution avoids the problem:  just install
> Firefox-2 alongside FF3.
>
> TIA
>
> Mac
Ah, sorry, I manually removed  firefox-3.0-gnome-support  and
firefox-gnome-support  too.
 I wouldn't remove ubuntu-desktop, it won't break anything (at the
moment), it's not really a program/package as such, it's a meta package
that holds the, err, structure, of what Ubuntu looks like together.
Removing it won't hurt anything, but as upgrades happen, things may
start to get messy...

Just -
 sudo apt-get remove firefox-3.0-gnome-support firefox-gnome-support
and it'll be OK...
Ubufox just tailor FF to Ubuntu, it works with FF2 just fine.

Lee