Quoting Jai Harrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hey All,
>
> The time is approaching, the time when I buy a new laptop.
>
> My current one is an Acer TravelMate 4150. It's the most awful laptop
> ever. I have currently sent it in for repair twice and now something
> else has gone wrong with it so it looks like I'm going to have to send
> it in again. Acer's awful quality is leading me to *STAY AWAY* from
> them when purchasing my new notebook.
>
> I'm sure there's plenty of recommendations that you guys (and gals)
> can come up with based on your experience. Both in terms of hardware
> support in GNU/Linux and overall stability and efficiency of the
> hardware. I would also appreciate it if you could stick to hardware
> that requires low, if any, proprietary drivers (e.g. proprietary WiFi
> seems to be the norm so there's not much I can do about that).
>
> I would like to set the budget at one thousand pounds (£1,000) as I'm
> a student and so that's already pushing it for the price. I need all
> of the money I can get to put towards university.
>
> Jai / "Venko"
>
> --
> ubuntu-uk@lists.ubuntu.com

What are you going to be using it for? If you only have basic needs
then a £500 one would be fine. Are you looking for something small and
portable or a full desktop replacement. The xps m1330 is good, and I
think uses nearly all free drivers if you choose the intel graphics.

The dell vostros are pretty nice too.

Or you could but 3 eee900's ;)
Mj