i have indeed read all the replies ....and pot shots aside did say i would
report back when i had finished experimenting!!!
I have actually tried connecting the comps ethernet to ethernet via patch
cable...but so far that hadnt improved things...i am YET to try to connect
directly via a crossover cable.

On a seperate note the xbox was connected via the router and did work fine
for its intended purpose!