> Subject: Re: [ubuntu-uk] BBC video and Firefox etc?
>
> alan c wrote:
> > I have a love hate relationship with BBC stuff. I love having it
> > available but hate it when things go wrong.....
> >
> > I have just moved to a new machine with a sort of new install of 7.10
> > and have unfortunately reached a status of finding bbc/click video
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/default.stm
> >   is not now playing. Annoying because during the general setting up
> > and installing stuff I need, bbc/click did work at one stage of the
> > proceedings.
> >
> > I prefer to use firefox, mplayer, and as far as I can see things are
> > almost working but not quite.
> > a click on the 'watch  now'  button opens a mplayer plugin window,
> > information text says it is 'buffering', then says it is connecting to
> > a specific server, then buffering a specific rm stream and the
> > progress bar appears to indicate the extent of buffering. It gets to
> > approximately 10 or 15 percent and lingers, then, after a little more
> > time, the status changes to 'Stopped', the progress bar replaced by
> > the start, pause, stop buttons within the mplayer plugin window.
> >
> > It is as if mplayer plugin in firefox is not starting to display
> > successfully. A similar sequence happens if I choose the 'launch in
> > stand alone player'
> >
> > To preserve my sanity I am glad to have another machine with 7.10,
> > which runs a similar configuration (successfully) as it always did,
> >
> > I am aware of
> > =============
> > Add the medibuntu repo as per these instructions - this is so you can
> > install the necessary codecs.
> > http://www.medibuntu.org/repository.php
> >
> > sudo apt-get update
> > sudo apt-get remove totem-mozilla
> > sudo apt-get install mozilla-mplayer w32codecs
> > =============
> >
> > and I believe I have done these actions. however I was also, at an
> > early stage, adding the packages (add/remove programs)(kubuntu if is
> > makes a difference)
> > kubuntu restricted extras, and
> > ubuntu restricted extras (both desktops are on this machine).
> >
> > Later these were removed the same way during trouble shooting.
> > Variously I have uninstalled mplayer and plugin, firefox, and manually
> > deleted its config files, reinstalled .... I did not keep a close
> > tally on all of it. Maybe I missed something. Anyhow, bbc click
> > carries on doing, and not doing, the same things!
> >
> > I have also done some looking around in synaptic, removing anything I
> > thought might be causing  a problem. Ultimately I am possibly going to
> > have to reinstall just to get a clean mplayer firefox bbc situation,
> > however, it would be really great if I could find out what was going
> > on and put it  right!
> >
> > comments most welcomed
>
> Aah! progress of a sort.
> I have continued to follow suggestions and follow links  fairly
> [...]

    All,
        One thing to remember, which may seem obvious, for new users or someone
new to a certain process is to
        take it one step at a time (Duhhh you may say, but at least if
something goes wrong you know which step has
        more than likely caused the problem!).
        Actually, I think this is probably at least as useful to power users,
maybe more. One can get too involved in what
        were doing and be the opposite of down on the beginning of a book
truck(LR trivia). Which makes me think of that
        programming tactic of a driver and navigator, i'll look that up. Sorry
i'm writing what i'm thinking!
        Basically,  Research. 1 step at a time. Make notes.