Having a nightmare trying to get my webcam running.

According to Gnome Device Manager running on 8.04 the cam is plugged
into my USB2 port

Sonix Pccam +

Camorama shows a non-descript colour pattern and Xawtv shows the same
but changes the colour slightly if I place my hand over the lense. It
also has a built in Microphone that is running properly as it plugs into
the sound card.

The camera is one from SumVision and can be clipped onto a laptop,
although I am using it with my main desktop machine.

Any help appreciated. Last bit to get running on Ubuntu. APART from the
perennial problem reading Microsoft Publisher files:(

Rgds Ken