On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 1:57 PM, Tony Arnold
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Michael,
>
> Michael Holloway wrote:
>> Check this out, its quite interesting: www.top500.org
>>
>> Of the top 500: 452 run on *nix based OS's, And a whopping 5 run the
>> other one!
>
> Yeah! When you have hundreds of processors all talking to each other
> over some high bandwidth interconnect, *nix is the only way to do it!
>
>> I just like reading the about the power these things have, and wish i
>> could get that on my desktop PC!
>
> You should see the figures for the power consumed and the heat generated
> by these beasts. You would not want it on a desktop! Besides there are
> very few computational problems that can take advantage of such powerful
> machines.

You hear quite a lot about these 'green companies' that are using
computers to both minimise impact and help prevent damage to the
environment, look at that machine, the power usage and cooling systems
must be contributing half of the worlds power usage haha.

>> And you have to laugh... the most powerful computer in the world is an
>> American nuke machine! What a surprise!
>
> I believe they model nuclear explosions! It's better than testing the
> real thing.

Indeed!

--
Kris Douglas