I found the interview quite interesting... what "Alan Michael Sugar
Trading" (Amstrad) achieved in the 80s was nothing short of
extraordinary... their machines were actually pretty naff, but they
were cheap... and they kept up the free thinking that had
characterised computing up until the mid-80s (Sinclair, Acorn, Oric,
Dragon etc.) as most of the industry started to consolidate around one
or two preferred architectures....  when everybody else in the world
seemed resigned to either using 5.25" floppies or 3.5" Amstrad came up
with their own 3" format... when the trend was towards varieties of
DOS (be it DR-DOS or MS-DOS) they produced computers and word
processors running CP/M.  What Alan doesn't mention in his interview
is that they might have bought some copies of MS-DOS for their PCs,
but they certainly weren't having anything to do with Bill's fledgling
"Windows", instead shipping with Digital Research's GEM.

Alan did what he did VERY well, which is no doubt why he managed to
seal the contract with Sky to supply boxes when they launched, and is
still one of the major suppliers of Digiboxes to this day.

Having sold Amstrad to Sky last year, and with a lucrative income from
TV appearances and lecturing/consultation, I don't imagine Sugar has
any interest at all in watching trends in computing.  Was he still on
the ball he wouldn't have said what he did in that interview.  If
Microsoft had a monopoly on computing in 2003 it most certainly
doesn't any more.  Offices using Excel and Word formats doesn't
necessarily mean they're using Excel or Word - not now, with
Openoffice being so strong.

I wonder what controls Alan's Sky boxes?  I bet it's not Windows - is it?

Sean