Hello Alan,

Alan Pope wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here's a question for the group. If you install a clean Ubuntu system
> for yourself (or perhaps someone else), what are the key things you add
> to the system after, to get a "works for me" desktop?

Here is my list:
ubuntu-restricted-extras
skype
avant window navigator
natulius actions
nautilus-image-converter
deluge
pan
epiphany
gmpc
mplayer + mozilla plugin
unison
opensync, syncml, multisync, and other related packages to sync my phone
with evolution
compiz config
gtweakui
filezilla
ssh client
ninan - nzb downloader not in repos
eclipse, tomcat and other packages for java development
subversion

in addition i install the following on 1 machine at home, acting like a
server
ssh server
mythtv
mpd
icecast2
lamp server
jinzora

I am sure there are more apps that i have forgotten. and others I have
left out on purpose as they are on a machine I don't do fresh installs
on, but are a must have: