2008/7/6 Keith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>[snip]
> However, when the other user tried to log in, Ubuntu would not accept
> the password.  I googled extensively but the only remedy I could find
> was to recover my own password, which was not applicable here and didn't
> help recover, or change, the password in question.  I even tried to
> "re-add" the second user but Ubuntu told me that the user already
> existed, etc.

Hi Keith,

I take it from this that you can log in as one user on the Ubuntu
partition? If this user has admin access, then you can log in as that
user, bring up a terminal window and type 'sudo passwd user2',
obviously replacing 'user2' with the username of the second user.
It will prompt you for a password, which is the password of the user
you just used to log in. Then it will ask twice for the new password
for 'user2'.

If you can't log in as any users, before pressing Ctrl-D to continue
the boot, type 'passwd user1' and 'passwd user2', entering the new
passwords for the relevant user when prompted.

Hope this helps.

Hwyl,
Neil.