On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 12:51 PM, norman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> > < big snip >
>

>> Hi Norman, I have just installed VirtualBox in 8.04 from the repos...
>> where are you getting stuck at the moment?
>>
>> Sure I can help...
>
> When I try to start a virtual machine I get the message headed Failed to
> start virtual machine br. Underneath the heading it starts VirtualBox
> kernel not installed.
>
> Using Synaptic I installed virtualbox-ose-module-generic but this made
> no difference. Could it be because the kernel on my laptop is 2.6.24-18
> generic?
>
> Norman

It might be worth upgrading to the newest kernel in Hardy which is 2.6.24-19

Aha, there's the problem, virtualbox-ose-module-generic will have
installed -19.  You can install the right kernel number manually, it
should be, virtualbox-ose-modules-2.6.24-18-generic and uninstall the
-19 kernel modules. If using Synaptic, I would do a "mark for complete
removal"

--Michael