Ian Pascoe wrote:

> Her current setup is an old desktop connected via an USB ADSL modem to the
> internet - it doesn't have a working ethernet card and she doesn't want to
> put one in as "it's too fragile" - the machine not her I hasten to add.  And
> as we'll both need to be on the internet at the same time, networking is
> called for.

Could you get a USB wireless adaptor and wireless ADSL router, both of
which are cheap to get hold of anyway, that her PC doesn't need to be
opened up, all it needs is some drivers installing.

Otherwise, an ADSL router and USB to Ethernet adaptor would probably do
the job.  Something like this... http://www.ebuyer.com/product/52599

Assuming she's running Windows 98 or higher, if she wants to keep the
USB modem, adding a USB to Ethernet adaptor will probably allow you to
use Internet Connection Sharing so that you can connect your machine to
her PC (using a crossover cable or CAT5 switch/hub) and then her PC will
act as a gateway to the internet.

Rob