On Sun, 2008-08-31 at 21:50 +0100, John Levin wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi John,

> If you have a particular need (say, cataloguing pdfs), how would you go
> about finding a suitable app? How would you google, where would you ask?

For this particular case I am a big fan of the debtags search interface
at

  http://debtags.alioth.debian.org/ssearch.html

Try it! Type in something, e.g. "music player" and you are presented
with a list of packages. On the right are a list of tags. Click one
in the top section to remove it from the active list, click one in the
lower section to add it to the active list, or click "no" to exclude
anything with that tag. You can narrow down a list of interesting
packages quite quickly.

Thanks,

James