On Mon, 2008-09-01 at 22:53 +0100, John Levin wrote:

> I can't see any way of 'herding cats' and concentrating everyone on a
> base set of applications, or a single distro for that matter. I don't
> think it would be desirable either; a lot of good comes out of people
> trying new ideas (as long as these ideas can be shared, taken and
> improved, as we do in the free software world).
>
> As long as Ubuntu keeps its focus, I'll be happy with it (even though I
> dislike some of the software choices).

:-) Herding cats is very good.

I would never want a single application or distro as each has very
specific goals and appeal to those with their own specific goals or
constraints e.g. hardware etc. However the 30 lane motorway can be
narrowed a little sometimes and the slow moving traffic or those that
have broken down can be removed.

Pooling the knowledge along with sharing fresh ideas should always be
promoted and I would agree with you there.

Ubuntu does have good focus and constraint to make a quality
distribution that does offer a consistent base and extended choice and
that formula is one of the things that is helping it gain in popularity
and an increased number of users.

Regards

Phil