Dianne Reuby wrote:
> My son's just started college, and one of the programs he'll be using is
> Macromedia (Adobe) flash.

Hi, I just started my second year of Applied ICT
(I'm now at A2) and I have just found out we are going to be using
Macromedia Director (Yes that's the shockwave creation tool!) for a
large part of the course, Microsoft Project for another large part and
Microsoft Access for another large part.

With the exception (possibly - I haven't investigated what planner etc
can/can't do) it means that I have no choice but to use the programs I
just mentioned for the entirety of the remainder of my course.

Having to refer to documents in .docx format is bad enough!

> Neither of us want to waste disk space on putting XP back, so can anyone
> recommend an alternative for him to use at home? Ideally he'd like to be
> able to work on his files both at college and at home, but is there an
> open source program that will create/edit files that Flash will accept?

I would love to say yes... but there isn't and there isn't likely to be
for quite a while. Flash is one my major bug bears in the free software
world what with there not being a completely functional player or
creation tools.

> I'm using Ubuntu 8.04

So am I, and I agree that virtualbox (sudo apt-get install
virtualbox-ose) is the best option, along with licenced copies of the
horrible software.

> Some I've seen in Synaptic:
> Blender
> Epix1
> GIMP-gap
> Stopmotion

All good programs, however I imagine the school will blank if they are
mentioned. They aren't replacements or alternatives unfortunately :(

> Whether these are what he needs I don't know - I know nothing about
> Flash! I've been reading up on the Adobe site, but it's all greek to
> me. :(
>
> Don't know if he'll survive this course - it's only day one, and he's
> already roared with laughter when his tutors XP crashed, and suggested
> he switched to Linux. :)

On my first day the tutors recommended picing up "warm software" off
ebay and called GNU/Linux "joe blogg's operating system" in the context
of the One Laptop Per Child project. On the taster, day one of the
computing tutors suggested c++ wasn't a worthwhile language learning.

You might want to suggest http://dfey.freedomdreams.co.uk to your son if
he is into ubuntu or open source/free software in schools :) .

There are a group of us who are trying to "survive" ICT in schools from
the student level.

If I can be of any more help, please don't hesitate to get in touch. :)

Tim

--
www.tdobson.net
----