On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 4:20 PM, Rob Beard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> John wrote:
> > I am sorry if this has come up before, also about cross posting, but I
> > havent been able to find anything about it, so wanted to as about it.
> >
> > I am a from the UK, and because of my laptop not being up to Ubuntu
> > specs, I have been looking into buying a laptop with ubuntu already
> > installed. I have a friend in the USA that has just bought what he says
> > is a really good Dell laptop with ubuntu in it for just over $400. I
> > have been looking at the UK Dell site to fimd that the very basic Ubuntu
> > Installed laptops by Dell, start at £300 plus Vat almost double the
> > pirce in the USA.
>
> Ahh it's the same with everything.  The Playstation 3 is about $399 over
> there which works out about £250, whereas over here they're about £300.
>
> The exchange rate at the moment between US and UK is $1.61 to £1, so
> just over $400 isn't that much less than £300, I'd say with VAT and
> delivery charges on top you'd probably be looking at about £100
> difference between a UK spec laptop and a US spec laptop.
>
> You'd also have to consider that the US laptops have US layout
> keyboards.  Not a major problem but can be a tad annoying.
>
> > How come there is such a huge difference in cost? I know Dell is
> > separate company to Ubuntu, but surely Ubuntu must have gone to
> > discussions about their software being installed on laptops in this
> > country.
> >

> I don't think it's anything to do with Canonical.  I mean Dell can
> download the software for free.  Microsoft do special discount deals for
> companies such as Dell, and IIRC the crudware that is supplied with
> machines (McAfee Anti-Virus trials, Office 2007 Trials etc) helps
> subsidise the cost of the hardware.
>
> Technically it shouldn't really cost any more than Windows to stick
> Ubuntu on a machine as I'm sure Dell would create a standard build and
> then just stick on a disc image on each laptop (as they would do with a
> Windows machine).
>
> > Being a new user, I really like Ubuntu, but I'm finding it extremely
> > frustrating not being able to use it, admittedly mainly due to my lack
> > of experience with it, but if I could find a laptop with it already
> > installed at a cost like they are in the USA I would dump Windows
> > altogether, and be able to concentrate on learning Ubuntu without having
> > to get around the problems I'm finding using it in a dual boot
> environment.
>
> Well looking through the Linux Format magazines, there are companies
> which do provide laptops with Linux pre-installed.  The other option is
> to do a bit of research (search Ubuntu forums, ask on here, search on
> Google), see what laptops out on the market and how compatible they
> generally are.  Some laptops you'd probably find would work out of the
> box with Ubuntu (my old Dell Latitude D610 was such a beast) whereas
> others would probably fall over when it comes to things like wireless
> adaptors.

> [...]

I think that the guide to import something from the US is to allow 30% on
top of the purchase price for import duty/handling charges.  I am off to
university next year, so I think that I may make a bit of a trip over there,
pick up a Macbook pro, and Adobe CS4 plus anything else I fancy. Even with a
return flight around £300 it would still probably work out cheaper than
buying it here, and I get a bit of a holiday as a bonus.