2008/11/9 Ian Pascoe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> I think we've actually got three different types of user to accommodate.
>
> Those who will upgrade pre release, those who will upgrade at the release
> date, and those who will upgrade a period of time into the release.
>
> The first type are normally done by those who have a bit of savvy in dealing
> with the breakages and bugs that appear as part of the pre release cycle -
> techies if you will.
>
> The release day people are those who like to be at the leading edge, but
> either don't have the time, or maybe the inclination to go into the apps to
> sort out problems, and have a moderate expectation of it just working from
> the release.
>
> The last group of upgraders are those who want to have the latest release,
> but don't want the hassles with the release day problems.  It is this last
> group of people that I don't think are well catered for at the moment in new
> CD images - non LTS releases of course.  Yes I'm aware that of course by
> upgradeing you will get all the packages that will address the release day
> bugs, but this download can be quite large and time consuming.
>
> Perhaps what should be suggested is a re-base of the CD image some 3 - 4
> weeks into a cycle to mop up all the fixes and squashed bugs that have
> become apparent since release?  This would then give us a better platform to
> give to whomever, and we'd be safer in the knowledge that it'd just work -
> well better than some of the experiences described here earlier.
>
> I haven't looked at Brainstorm yet to see if this is floating about there
> already.
>
> Would anyone else like to comment on the thought of such a post release
> update and the expectations as to what it should actually contain?
>
> Ian
>
> Ian

I'm one of the older (76) people who just want a quiet life.  It's
often a simple and easy path for beginners that we want.  Just a
simple operating system - this is why I'm in mac-mini/Ubuntu and open
office which I want to work perfectly (this is why I keep reading this
site).  Yes, I''ve just taken on Heron and its updates without
realising that I should hold off because it wasn't perfect.  I'd be
happy to be out-of-date if it meant that this was the best place for a
beginner.  When I took on Ubuntu last year I was confused as to which
of the linux systems I should take on - and the advice I got merely
confused more.  Too many people advising different variants.
I'm happy to stay with Ubuntu providing it is looked after with simple
updates and something like add/remove opportunities for me to look at
if I want to branch out.  The last thing I want is to install an
inaccurate update.  The last one has stopped me from mounting a USB
memory without a restart, and I await an update to deal with it so I
can mount it as I go.  No warning was given.
Yrs   Robin