Ted wrote:
> Eddie Armstrong wrote:
>> Ted wrote:
>>
>>> Do I have to edit any files on the usb stick after I have installed Ubi
>>> to get the stick to boot ?
>>>

>> I would have thought just check the BIOS - enable boot from USB device
>> I'm sure someone will let us know if I'm wrong
>> Eddie
>>

> Thanks for the reply..I have the boot enabled in the bios and I can run
> both dsl and puppy from the stick but no matter how I try I cannot get
> any other Linux to boot from the stick...

I found that with a stick initially formatted to fat16, it would not
work with ubuntu (facility in 8.10 that is) It went perfectly or
seemed to, but  in the event, it would not boot.

However, If I pre formatted the stick fat32, then went through the
process, it always worked. This was with two sticks, both failing and
then success, and with two machines, to eliminate machine type.
It may be that the smaller distros are more careful to work with fat16
maybe?
--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user #10391