Hi all,

I'm wondering if I could pick your brains regarding audio recording
software? (In case it isn't obvious, I'm pretty clueless regarding audio
matters, so go easy on me if I ask something daft ;)

I'd like to be able to capture the input from a mic connected to an embedded
motherboard audio chipset (Intel 82801G controller). Obviously, there are
plenty of FOSS sound recorders available, but I'm looking for one that will
allow me to start and stop recording automatically in accordance with
pre-defined start and stop recording levels.

The sound I want to capture is consistent in its volume and I'm assuming
that what I would need to do is make a sample recording of the sound in
question, and use that sample to define the start and stop recording levels.

If anyone knows of an application that would allow me to do this, or else
one that uses a different/better method to achieve the same thing, I'd be
grateful.

For the record, I'm running Ubuntu Hardy Heron (i.e. GNOME), Intel 2140
dual-core CPU, 2GB RAM, and the above mentioned Intel 82801G audio
controller.

Regards