On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 11:12 PM, David King <linux...@avoura.com> wrote:

> I created a USB startup disk successfully, using Ubuntu 8.10 AMD64 CD
> ISO and a 16 GB flash drive.
>
> But my PC will not boot from it. I tried 4 different options for the
> first boot device: USB-FDD, USB-ZIP, USB-CDROM, USB-HDD. None allowed it
> to boot. All that happened was that it got as far as "Verifying DMI pool
> data..." message, and then froze. So it seems that it is reading the USB
> flash drive, but it will not boot from it.
>
> What could be wrong?
>
> --
> ubuntu-uk@lists.ubuntu.com

One of my flash drives (sandisk cruzer) shows as a standard (non-usb,
internal) hard drive for boot purposes. I have to tell my motherboard to
boot hdd first and make sure the flash drive is the first hdd. Another drive
of mine (pny attaché) shows as USB-zip and wont boot :( Are you sure the
motherboard is recognising the flash drive as a USB device at all?