When I first switched to Ubuntu around 18 months ago, I thought it was so
much easier to use that Windows. From using Windows from 6 years old (back
on Win95) until I was 16, then switching to Ubuntu, I was incredibly
impressed with how easy it was to use everything, considering all I had to
go was click 'Internet' then 'Web Browser', and 'Office' then 'Word
Processor'.

That makes me think that, unless there was some 'technical' reason as to why
she couldn't connect to the internet, like as said, a USB modem, she clearly
didn't read anything on the menus. The thing that took me a while to get
used to was applications menu being at the top of the screen.

I think it would be good to promote free / open source software or Linux /
Ubuntu more, so people are more aware of the differences, and how Linux
works, and mostly how it isn't Windows! I've had a few friends consider
switching to Ubuntu (mostly from being impressed by Compiz) and get
intreseted in having free software, but the main problem they have is the
lack of support avaliable to hand. They arn't fans of using forums, (and
some of them don't even get what it is!) and I've moved away for university,
so if something went wrong they'd be stuck.