Quoting Johnathon Tinsley <kir...@kirrus.co.uk>:

> Rob Beard wrote:
>> On 17/01/2009 15:11, Ian Pascoe wrote:
>>> Johnathon, et al,
>>>
>>> In your post from Thursday you mention you have OpenVPN installed
>>> to provide
>>> remote access etc.
>>>
>>> In Rob's case he doesn't appear against this but worried about connections
>>> to his own private network.
>>>
>>> Do you know if you can set up an OpenVPN server on a hosting site,
>>>  no direct
>>> connection to home network, but then either SSH to the OpenVPN server and
>>> thence onto the client, or through some VNC equivilant?
>>>

> The OpenVPN connection comes from the supportee's [see note below]
> computer to the server. If you set it up correctly, you can have 2
> supportee's sshing directly to each other, over the VPN connection.
>
> What you really want, is to set it up so that each supportee's computer
> links to the central OpenVPN server (any VPS could host a VPN server),
> but is only accessible from the VPN server, so yes, the supporter would
> then SSH into the VPN server, and from there to the supportee.
>
> The caveat with this is, realistically, you'd need a user account with
> sudoer permissions on the supportee's computer, which would mean the
> supporter's would have to be trusted NOT to steal data, or muck about.

There would need to be legal documentation involved here. The other
issue is how Ubuntu-UK indemnifies itself against the volunteer
"fixers".  How do we know that a certain user knows enough about a
certain subject to provide support?  There are many many more issues
that would need to be discussed before setting this up and getting it
working, however I think a Proof of Concept could be a good start.

M.
--
Matthew Macdonald-Wallace
matt...@truthisfreedom.org.uk