On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 1:42 PM, Philip Wyett <philwy...@gmx.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Users of Linux with ALSA on laptops and other mobile devices have for
> years often been presented with the fun and games of sound working great
> but then plugging in headphones leaves you with no sound or sound coming
> out of speakers and headphones etc. This annoys many and makes distros
> look poor to the new user in some cases. Could we have a bug day for and
> in conjunction with ALSA to collect as much per user hardware and what
> they set to fix it i.e. the 'options' in alsa-base to maybe allow the
> ALSA project to make things better for all.
>
> Your thoughts would be appreciated?

This would be great to look into.
The 'options' parameters can be submitted to Alsa so that new distro
releases will work out of the box.
There is little knowledge among users on how to do this.

Mainly on Ubuntu, the big issue is to make the integration of
Pulseaudio as good as possible.
VirtualBox, Skype and others do not work well out of the box.

Simos