Liam Proven wrote:
> [...]
> VAXen ran Unix - indeed, Unix was developed on VAXen. But the native
> VAX OS, although much much later rated POSIX-compatible, was VMS which
> is nothing like Unix in any way.

Hello, Liam.

Wrong! - Unix was developed on pdp11's: I used it on a pdp11/23 + 11/34.

However, the US Government sponsored research at Berkeley to port pdp11
Unix onto VAXen, and make use of its virtual memory architecture (the
pdp11's had 'segmented' memory architecture). This is why the kernel is
known as "vmunix" (vm = virtual memory) and this was adopted by Linux as
"vmlinuz", where the 'z' denotes a compressed kernel. In fact, I had one
of the original 'free' academic BSD4.1 source code licences, which I
used to compile and boot BSD Unix on a VAX750 and 780 - Happy days :-)

Bye,

        Tony.
--
Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Rowett Institute of Nutrition
and Health, Greenburn Road, Bucksburn, Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK