2009/3/14 Rowan Berkeley <rowan.berke...@googlemail.com>:
> In fact I think I have managed to locate the gnash 0.8.4 and swfdec
> 0.8.0 packages in synaptic and remove them after all, so I won't have to
> re-install the whole of firefox.

Re-installing applications actually rarely "fixes" anything. There are
a few exceptions to this, but not many.

> They have their own little
> dependencies, which are still in there but non-removable, so maybe I
> should have used the 'complete removal', rather than just 'removal'
> buttons, or maybe I should have ticked every one of them rather than the
> principal ones alone, but I shall see how I get on with embedded flash
> videos in future, anyway, and if necessary do some more experimentation
> in synaptic. thanks.

If you don't know what something is or what it does, don't remove it.
If you do, you'll get into the same situation you did previously when
you changed repository settings.

On a new install of Ubuntu I generally recommend people find and
install the "ubuntu-restricted-extras" package in synaptic. This will
install the non-free (but working - mostly) Adobe Flash player, Sun
Java, video codecs and fonts - and a few other bits and bobs. It's a
great "one stop shop" to get the usual stuff many people "need" for a
fully working system.

It will install non-free stuff so if you're the kind of person who
only wants Free software then you might want to avoid it.

Cheers,
Al.