Harry Rickards wrote:
>> John Taylor wrote:
>>> Harry Rickards wrote:
 >>> Are you trying to install from a Jaunty CD, or via the internet? If via
>>> the internet, try changing the following line in /etc/apt/sources.list:
>
>>> deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 9.04 _Jaunty Jackalope_ - Release i386 (20090420.1)]/
>>> jaunty main restricted
>>> into
>>> #deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 9.04 _Jaunty Jackalope_ - Release i386 (20090420.1)]/
>>> jaunty main restricted
>>> Basically adding a hash before it. You can do this by running
>>>     sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
>>> Once you've done that, run
>>>     sudo aptitude update
>>> and
>>>     sudo aptitude dist-upgrade
>>> If you prefer apt-get run
>>>     sudo apt-get update
>>> and then
>>>     sudo apt-get upgrade
>
>>> Wow Harry
>>> I'm a Golden Oldie and a very new Newbie!!
>>> I was given 9.04 over the net as a auto daily update... they have always
>>> worked out of the box before so why not now?
>>> Can I have a simple answer...do i have to download 9.04 again?
>>> John
>> It seems that your source.list was changed for some reason. Did you
>> download the CD of Jaunty, or try and download it with aptitude, apt-get
>> or update-manager? If you downloaded the CD, you shouldn't need to
>> download again, but I'm not sure about if you used aptitude, apt-get or
>> update-manager.
>

> Sorry, I've just re-read your original email. It seems you were using
> update-manager.
>
> Open up your source.list
>
>       sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
>

> and comment out (by putting a hash before it) this line:
>
> deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 9.04 _Jaunty Jackalope_ - Release i386 (20090420.1)]/
> jaunty main restricted
>
> That line would then turn into this:
>
> #deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 9.04 _Jaunty Jackalope_ - Release i386 (20090420.1)]/
> jaunty main restricted
>
> Save the file, and close down gedit. Then run the following command,
> which will get a list of the new packages from the internet:
>
>       sudo aptitude update
>
> Once done, run the following command which will (hopefully) update your
> system to Jaunty:
>
>       sudo aptitude dist-upgrade
>
> If you get any errors, please copy them into pastebin (http://pastebin.com).

There's a couple of other changes you might need to make, so I've put an
updated source.list for you at http://pastebin.com/f3944dadb. To replace
your current one with the updated one, just do the following in a terminal:

cd
sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.bak
wget http://pastebin.com/pastebin.php?dl=f3944dadb
sudo mv pastebin.php\?dl\=f3944dadb /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude dist-upgrade

Again, if you have any errors put them on PasteBin.

- --
Many thanks
Harry Rickards (a.k.a l33tmyst)

- --