It's naive to think that the .mov file extension refers to it being in a
nonfree video format.

Actually the reason get_iplayer can get the video is because the iphone
(possibly one of the most drm'd devices in the world) couldnt support
Windows media DRM so they made it h.264 codec video.

You can find out more about this part of BBC iplayer here:
http://beebhack.wikia.com

You can find out about licencing issues of the h.264 codec here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264#Patents_and_GNU_Free_Software_license

Just to reiterate, the decoding implementation for GNU/Linux the H.264
codec, which is used in the .mov files is freely licenced.

There may be patent implications with regards to the format in the UK,
but at this moment, it's not very clear...

Tim

=== Own opinions only ===

--
www.tdobson.net