On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 2:44 PM, John <jake...@sky.com> wrote:
> Simos Xenitellis wrote:
>
> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 12:30 PM, jakewc2 <jake...@sky.com> wrote:
>

> Who is Bill Weinburg? Is he something high up in the Linux world, I came
> across this article which has cropped up from the article I posted. It seems
> thigns are hotting up because of that article.

> I do not know about this Bill, however he starts his article with «A
> well-known Linux analyst
> has published a blog saying that Linux is failing in the
> once-promising netbook market.»,
> which is an EPIC FAIL by itself.
>
> Let's examine this first sentence,
> 1. The information does not come from the analyst's blog (it's a
> result of interview/contact).
> 2. The analyst did not say that 'Linux is failing in the
> once-promising netbook market' (the analyst make a prediction)
> 3. That 'analyst' is not a 'Linux' analyst. In
> http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20/2009/04/21/lenovo-analyst-linux-on-netbooks-is-doomed/
> we see that the said analyst has very low grasp of what open-source
> and Linux is about.
> 4. The analyst is actually only now 'well-known' in the open-source
> community because of the blorge.com articles that expose him as an
> uninformed person.
>
> Simos
> http://simos.info/blog/
>

> Ah, it seems we get back to that article again, I dont know, but it seems to
> me that a lot of negative stuff is going round, but all based on one
> article. It still doesnt bode well, even if the guy is misinformed.

I cannot argue about individual bloggers. One thing I would keep
through reading those articles is the article "Intel: Some Netbook
resellers saw 30% return rate"
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10239390-64.html

Most of us would be quick to jump and say 'Oh noes, it's due to Linux'.
If you read the article, it does not mention Linux, nor Windows at all.

The issue that the article tackles is that consumers have high expectations,
at least in terms of performance, when using netbooks.

In this respect, netbooks with Windows XP would be at a disadvantage here since
the interface is identical with that of your desktop computers with XP. Thus,
consumers would expect to install the same heavy applications, which now would
be quite slow.

Simos