As another posted noted, you cannot connect ADSL peer-to-peer. It
requires [DSLAM | magic pixie dust] at the telephone exchange.

David Restall - System Administrator wrote:
> My mother has an Ubuntu PC and her broadband contract has just expired.
> She uses the web very rarely (sends the odd email may surf occasionally)
> but doesn't really use broadband to it's full and, to be quite honest,

If she's not permanently connected (ie. not on broadband), doesn't
frequently connect and doesn't browse high-risk sites (eg. pr0n, warez,
gaming, gambling, make-money-fast schemes, prescription medication) then
she is in a very low-risk category for malware. Manual monthly updates
burned to DVD should be fine.

It's not ideal, and low-risk is not no-risk, but I'd turn automatic
updates off, or switch them to notifications only.

Might be an idea to take a backup, though, just in case. Then you can
wipe and reinstall in the very unlikely event that a problem occurs.

--
Andrew Oakley