I got myself a Logitech Quickcam S7500, works great for me straight out the
box. Clips onto my flat screen monitor, same with laptop. Can be a bit
tricky getting it to work with aMSN, but *apparently* works great with
Skype. Haven't tried it myself, as I don't use Skype.

 A list of supported webcams is here though:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsMultimediaWebCameras

2009/5/22 Tony Arnold <tony.arn...@manchester.ac.uk>

> Dave,
>
> Dave Morley wrote:
> > On Thu, 2009-05-21 at 16:02 +0100, Tony Arnold wrote:
> >> Can anyone recommend/suggest a webcam that can be clipped to the top of
> >> my laptop that will work out of the box on Jaunty? I'd want to use it
> >> with Skype.
> >
> > Go to Asda and buy there cheap tat one.  It's not the greatest in the
> > world but it works fine for skype :)  Anything else might be pushing it.
>
> Thanks for the pointer. I'd never think to go to ASDA for an item like
> this! I'll give it a try.
>
> Regards,
> Tony.
> --
> Tony Arnold,                        Tel: +44 (0) 161 275 6093
> Head of IT Security,                Fax: +44 (0) 870 136 1004
> University of Manchester,           Mob: +44 (0) 773 330 0039
> Manchester M13 9PL.                 Email: tony.arn...@manchester.ac.uk
>
> --
> ubuntu-uk@lists.ubuntu.com

Simon Wears