On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 12:22 PM, doug livesey <biot...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi -- I may be looking to buy a web server for a number of web apps (RoR
> served with Passenger & Apache) quite soon.
> Could anyone advise me on what hardware to be looking for?
> I would want decent speed, so good processors & RAM, and I would like, if
> possible, for it to be quite clever about power usage.
> Also (& isn't this always the kicker?) I don't want to spend a fortune.
> I'll say a few hundred quids, tops, for now, but I don't want that to limit
> people's suggestions too much.
> & if people have good resources for new & not-so-new machines I could buy,
> that play nicely with Ubuntu, that would be great, too.
> Cheers,
>    Doug.

Hi Doug,

You could check out http://www.serversdirect.co.uk/

HP Proliant ML*** stuff there seems pretty cheap and servers that I've
looked at come with 3 years on site warranty (ymmv).

Just be aware that at that price, any servers advertised as RAID are likely
to be using rubbish Windows orientated driver assisted fakeRAID so you'll
just be better off setting them up on software RAID.

Your selection of hardware will be influenced by how mission critical your
applications are of course.

Hope that helps

Chris