Hello, Ubuntistas.

I've been struggling for a while trying to work out what is wrong with
the DVD writer on my Asus A6K laptop under Ubuntu 8.04 LTS: Seems that
the answer is there is nothing wrong with the hardware, but the Gnome
DVD burning libraries can only write to virgin DVD media, or DVD media
that has been 'fully' erased:

   sudo dvd+rw-format -blank=full /dev/dvd

Not only does this take a long time, but it also uses up the DVD writer
laser unnecessarily if you are going to write to the DVD-RW anyway. My
work-around was prompted by the diagnostics produced by:

   growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=image.iso

Apparently, if you repeat the "-dvd-compat" it forces DAO (Disk At Once)
mode, which does not require the DVD-RW to be erased:

   growisofs -dvd-compat -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=image.iso

Fortunately, I discovered this in time to retrieve all my 'unuseable'
DVD-RW's from the bin. How does everyone else re-use their DVD-RW's?

BTW, I already know about "k3b" ;-)

Bye,

   Tony.
--
Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Rowett Institute of Nutrition
and Health, Greenburn Road, Bucksburn, Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK