I just wish that other computer manufacturers did this
> so customers could see that the Windows licence costs a fair chuck (IIRC
> a recent quote I did for some PCs with Windows XP Pro, the Windows
> license was about a third of the cost of the PC, if they'd gone for
> Ubuntu they could have either saved themselves a whole wad of cash, or
> updated the spec).
>
> Rob

I suspect that Dell, HP etc have a cost per software install of
practically zero, they get a cheap windows licence, and then recover
the cost by installing crapware. This certainly leaves smaller OEMs at
a disadvantage. Microsoft would rather give windows away if it stopped
a competitor, as has been seen with netbooks.