On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 3:56 PM, Rob Beard <r...@esdelle.co.uk> wrote:

> such as EfficientPC.co.uk or LinuxEmportium.co.uk or just a Windows
> based laptop from Comet or somewhere and install Linux yourself).

What actually annoys me a little is that if manufacturers would actually
stick to the same components etc. for the entire life of a model we could
quite easily list the laptops available which have no issues with hardware
in Ubuntu.

The problem is that they don't always!

Toshiba was particularly bad in that way when myself and my neighbour (the
legendary Martin Wheeler - I'm sure some will know him, quite an enigma ;-))
bought "the same laptop" in Bristol and Yeovil at almost the same time.
Despite the "specification" being virtually identical (I think his had a
little less memory) our experiences installing Ubuntu (Warty - pioneers!)
were quite different.  It's a long time ago, and I was a bit of a novice at
the time, but clearly the components inside were not identical.

The laptops I have at the moment were bought from Currys and from Tesco and
are both HP/Compaq.  Have not really had too many challenges to overcome, to
be honest.  Generally when things have failed it's been my fault rather than
the hardware and/or the OS.  Deleting the wrong things, or trying to be too
ambitious.

Sean