Toshiba Satellite L40 running Ubuntu 9.04.
There seems to be a problem with both hibernation and suspend. If I
click on Hibernate, the screen goes dark, but the HDD is still on and
the fan still runs. If I then press any key to come out of Hibernation,
all I get is a black screen with a flashing cursor in the top L/H side
of the screen. Nothing happens and I have to power off and then power
back on to re-start.

Suspend also doesn't seem to do what it's supposed to, but at least it
gives me an unlock screen and I can go right back to my desktop.

Is there something I need to set up, or am I missing the point of
Hibernation and Suspend completely? ;-)