On 07/07/09 01:24, Sean Miller wrote:
> Not on my Ubuntu machine, my default user is still using bash.

I would be surprised if the default shell is bash.

/bin/sh is a symlink to /bin/dash as Dave explained.

If you look at a user's default shell in /etc/passwd you will see most
(if not all) point to bin/sh. (Although interestingly I note that root
points to bin/bash).

In /bin you have both shell interpreters: bash and dash.

> And when writing scripts you put the shell at the top anyway, and
> that's been for me #!/bin/bash in recent history.

This is correct. But many default scripts in Ubuntu will say #!/bin/sh

> Therefore if writing shell scripts I believe bash is still the one you want.

Bash is probably the most widespread and consistent shell I agree. When
I write scripts I normally point them at bash.

Al