If it's asking about the default keyring, this is due to having
automatic login enabled - - It unlocks the keyring when you type your
login password, which doesn't happen if you have auto-login enabled. The
only thing you can do about this, as far as I know, is to disable
automatic login.
>> > If it's asking about the default keyring, this is due to having automatic
>> > login enabled - - It unlocks the keyring when you type your login
>> > password, which doesn't happen if you have auto-login enabled. The only
>> > thing you can do about this, as far as I know, is to disable automatic
>> > login.

You're absolutely right, Vinu (you and the other person who made this
point when I first brought it up) -- it wasn't the GPG keyring, it was
the 'default keyring,' and the explanation is indeed the auto login. I
see it now.

However, in one respect Thunderbird is even worse than Evolution, and
that is on the matter of notifications. If you have the Windows List
running on one of your panels, then at least with Evo the minimised
window for the Inbox will show a number in brackets to tell you you have
unread mail. Thunderbird's minimised Inbox window will not even do that.
Not that that makes any difference when the number in brackets will be
in black print on a black background, as is currently the case with my
panel, an annoying feature that only applies to printed words in the
panel, not to icons.

What we need is what Outlook Express does for Microsoft Windows: it puts
a postal envelope icon into the system tray when you have unread mail,
and only then, so you know without having to touch the keyboard whether
you have unread mail or not. We need a plugin to do that here.