2009/7/15 Paul Sutton <zl...@zleap.net>:
> I use firefox and thunderbird,  i know evolution does not take up much
> space,  but by removing it I can save a few hundred kilobytes, then why
> not, removing un used packages keeps systems un cluttered.

Depends on your definition of 'clutter'.

> what do you mean by meta package anyway ?

A meta package is one that doesn't actually contain any apps/libs
itself, but merely refers to other packages (and meta packages) which
do. The best examples of this are "ubuntu-desktop" and
"kubuntu-desktop". These are meta-packages which pull in all the
necessary stuff for the Ubuntu & Kubuntu (respectively) desktops.

If you remove something which requires you remove one of those
-desktop meta-package then you need to be aware this will compromise
your system updates/upgrades. It's entirely possible that you will not
be able to upgrade to the next release as ubuntu-desktop is missing
the upgrade process won't pull in all necessary dependencies for the
next version.

Cheers,
Al.