Not sure how much this has to do with Ubuntu ... :) but anyway:

Jai Harrison wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I have been using a Nokia 3220 since around late 2004. Recently I've
> been doing so over the free Blyk network but as that's now shutting
> down (in 2 and 1/2 weeks) I'm in need of a new phone network. My
> phone's battery dies very quickly (although I just ordered a
> replacement one to maintain some use of the phone).

If you're happy with the coverage you get with Blyk, you may want to
move to Orange, it's the same network (Blyk are/were an Orange MVNO, and
Orange are going to retain the service format in some manner).

> As I now need to get a new network I figured it would be great to have
> internet access out and about. Of course this means getting a modern
> phone as well but I've been planning on replacing my current phone for
> a *long* time.
>
> Also factor in that I'm a student who's never had a contract before so
> the idea is very daunting to me. Especially because of almost no
> income and mostly loans. I figure that I will have to take a contract
> to get decent rates for texts/minutes and internet.

Why?  If you're reticient to commit to a contract, especially if you
have low income, stick to PAYG or sim-only short term contracts (30
days).  As a cautionary tale, I bought an E71+18mo contract in November
2008, and I lost my job in March; I still have to pay for the E71 until
May 2010.

The networks are quite keen to retain PAYG customers, so they will do
offers and bundles to give you allowances while keeping you off a
contract.  T-Mobile, for example, do 'boosters', for example £20 for 300
minutes and unlimited texts for 30 days.

> So next comes two epically difficult tasks:
> 1) Find a network with decent rates on texts, minutes and a reasonable
> "unlimited" plan (500mb is not reasonable). At the same time don't
> lock myself into an 18-24 month contract.

They're all much of a muchness when it comes to tariff offerings, you'll
be wading through different offers of minutes, texts and the like.  What
you will have a problem with is getting any of that on contract with a
decent handset without committing to a minimum term.

If you ditch the idea of upgrading your handset, as I mentioned there
are options for pay monthly, sim only, no/short minimum term contracts,
e.g. T-Mobile Solo, O2 Simplicity, etc.

> 2) Select a phone that complements the above network. Offering me a
> decent web browser, much customisability (geek factor), good calendar
> system for my awful memory, decent media playback (ogg would be a plus
> but I suppose I could always write a script to convert to MP3 when
> copying files over), anything else that people think is essential(?)
> Bluetooth compatibility with Ubuntu would be useful.

I can't offer much advice here, having always connected my trusty Nokias
(currently on handsets #10 and #11!) either to PC Suite on win32, or
straight bluetooth from Mac OS X.  I suspect the ubiquity of Nokia
handsets means you shouldn't have too much hassle pushing and pulling
content from Ubuntu, but it may depend on your requirements.  YMMV.

> I think that what complements my needs best in terms of a phone might
> be an Android one but I think they cost around £400 so wondering what
> everyone else has/knows of.

You'll be lucky to get an Android handset on a short term contract.
It'll be a miracle to get it as a PAYG bundle.

-n