If folks will forgive me posting a question here that I'm also asking
on the Support list...

I can't find a way to reproduce with the GNOME panel(s) the Windows
taskbar setting I need, which is quite simple: to have the GNOME panel
set up so that other windows can cover it.

The problem with autohide is that it keeps popping up in front of my
foreground application. The problem with enabling the hide buttons and
manually hiding it is that the hide button stays visible on top of my
foreground app.

What I want is a normal panel, /not/ hidden or autohidden, but just
*not* set to be always-on-top.

I've Googled but all I've established is that other people seem to
want the same thing & can't find a way.

Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lpro...@gmail.com
MSN: lpro...@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508