Jonathon Fernyhough wrote:
> 2009/10/6 Liam Wilson <liamwilso...@gmail.com>:
>
>> Jonathon Fernyhough wrote:

>>> I'm running Karmic, so YMMV.
>>>
>>> This sounds like the problem I had when I added a PPA which updated
>>> libavutil49 (among others). It replaced /usr/lib/libavutil.so.49 with
>>> /usr/lib/libavutil.so.50 meaning Gstreamer couldn't find the .49
>>> version and failed (a symlink didn't fix it). The version which broke
>>> mine was svn20090924, the version I have now is svn20090706.
>>>
>>> If you run Totem in a terminal it should tell you what's wrong (and if
>>> it can't find a file).
>>>

>> Well Running Totem gets me this:
>>
>> l...@ubuntu-laptop:~$ totem
>> /var/lib/python-support/python2.6/gdata/tlslite/utils/cryptomath.py:9:
>> DeprecationWarning: the sha module is deprecated; use the hashlib module
>> instead
>>  import sha
>> ** Message: don't know how to handle video/x-xvid,
>> framerate=(fraction)25/1, width=(int)640, height=(int)480
>> ** Message: Missing plugin: gstreamer|0.10|totem|XVID MPEG-4
>> decoder|decoder-video/x-xvid (XVID MPEG-4 decoder)
>> ** Message: No installation candidate for missing plugins found.
>>

>> and running VLC gets me this:
>>
>> l...@ubuntu-laptop:~$ totem
>> /var/lib/python-support/python2.6/gdata/tlslite/utils/cryptomath.py:9:
>> DeprecationWarning: the sha module is deprecated; use the hashlib module
>> instead
>>  import sha
>> ** Message: don't know how to handle video/x-xvid,
>> framerate=(fraction)25/1, width=(int)640, height=(int)480
>> ** Message: Missing plugin: gstreamer|0.10|totem|XVID MPEG-4
>> decoder|decoder-video/x-xvid (XVID MPEG-4 decoder)
>> ** Message: No installation candidate for missing plugins found.
>>

>> Sounds like it isn't installed, but I don't know?
>>
>> Liam.
>>

> Have you double-checked you have gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse
> installed? Plus check the output of vlc, you emailed totem output
> twice. :)

Aah, so I did!
Yes,

gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse

is installed, and the output for VLC is:

l...@ubuntu-laptop:~$ vlc
VLC media player 1.0.2 Goldeneye
[0x9583140] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to
use vlc without interface.
main warning: can't store message (Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide
character): found Chunk fourcc:28dd5416 (
[0xb7607a50] avcodec decoder error: cannot open codec (MPEG-4 Video)
[0xb7607a50] main decoder error: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `XVID'.
VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.

Hope this helps a little;

Liam