Cheers rob,

But what I was really looking for was a way to set up a network between my
laptop and my netbook without having to use samba, and cut the XP machine
out.
Because I know that Linux doesn't need to use samba to create a network
between two comps using Ubuntu, I just don't know how to set that up, if you
get me?

Like, now I have samba installed, I can see each ubuntu powered laptops
Windows shares, but I need to transfer large amounts of data from one to the
other (20GiB at once) and I've found that using samba, this doesn't really
work well, so I was looking for a way to do this over a Linux network, not a
windows one.

Liam.