Hi Ian,

I've done quite a bit of mass conversion work on images.

I think Imagemagick, as opposed to GIMP, might help you out a lot.

I asked my good mate Gareth Google, and he gave me this page :-

http://polishlinux.org/apps/graphics/enchanting-pictures-with-imagemagick/

Take a look for the -negate option.  In the example, I believe the guy
is creating a negative from a positive, but I've a feeling the reverse
will work :)

Depending on your level of programming experience, you'll be able to
build a script to convert the lot in one swift stroke.

P.