On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 6:14 PM, Jon Spriggs <j...@spriggs.org.uk> wrote:

> Just out of interest, what boxes did horde fail to tick? I've been very
> enthusiastic about their systems in the past, and I'm fairly confident that
> having the IMAP set up properly behind the scenes should give you a
> comprehensive exchange-like replacement, with many many more features.

If it was just to be used in a web based environment, all the boxes would be
ticked - especially with the AJAX interface that gives all the functionality
associated with a full application.  The trouble is the dependence on
Outlook - and for this further 3rd party dependencies need to be met
(Funambol/SyncML).

Given that MS have broken third party apps working (again) I suppose this
weekend will be spent building a horde server and testing how the interface
looks and feels on the Outlook clients - effectively if any extra effort is
required on the part of the user (remembering to sync, etc) or speed of
synchronisation of calendars (our users require near instant updates on
public folders) then it looks like Exchange 2007 is going to be the way
forward....and I'm going to have to go back to using Windows at work (at the
very least in a VM).