On 23/12/2009 10:57, Matthew Daubney wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It's that time of year again when everything will briefly become a bit
> cheaper (and I'm trying to avoid VAT returning to normal again as well).
> So am looking around for a new laptop. As far as specs go, I'd like a
> core 2 duo branded chip, something like a T6600 would do. 2-4 GB of RAM,
> don't care about HD size, would be nice to be 7200RPM though, and a
> seperate graphic card (not an intel one) would also be nice.
>
> The main purpose of this machine is for my general purpose use, bit of
> web browsing, bit of dev, bit of office work and so on. So it doesn't
> need to be overpowered, but needs to have some kick.
>
> I've a budget of about £500, and my research so far has hilighted 3
> possibilities:
>
> 1. Novatech X16 HD Pro -
> http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/laptop/range/x16hd.html
> 2. Acer Aspire 5738 -
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Aspire-15-6-inch-DVD-RW-Premium/dp/B002IVTTJC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
> 3. Samsung R520 - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/176506
>
> Does anyone have any experience of Novatech laptops? I've never even
> seen one before, so the build quality is an unknown quantity for me. If
> anyone has any opinions on the others I'd be interested too, or any
> others you think fit the bill.
>
> Any opinions welcome :)
>
> -Matt Daubney

One of my old customers had some Novatech laptops, they're basically
generic rebranded laptops, I believe manufactured by the likes of Mitac.

Wasn't very impressed myself, the build quality was poor and they all
either failed or fell to pieces within a couple of years.

I've got an Acer Aspire 2920 and I can't fault it myself, plus a 3 year
extended warranty is something like £60 and it covers accidental damage.

I've also had a play with a Samsung, not the R520, I think it was an
R500 or something along those lines.  It's a nice little machine and
does the job well (a friend of mine has one, seems solidly built).

Rob