Paul Tansom wrote:
> I was given a 48U rack a while back with 5 2U server units in, but when I
> looked at power consumption found that they would have cost a fortune to run
> as
> they draw around 175W (iirc). I couldn't see a practical means of lowering
> that
> since it seemd that the majority of the power use was from the twin Athlon
> MP2000+ processors and removing fans, etc. didn't make much impact. That was a
> bit of a shock given that the server I was replacing was only consuming around
> 47W (based on a Celeron 533).
>
> What I ended up doing was building up a new server on the, then just released,
> Atom 330 board from Intel. The chipset draws abit more than ideal, but it
> still
> managed to up my performance whilst dropping my power usage. I think I'm
> around
> the 40W or less, which is nowhere near as low as others mentioned, but that
> does give pretty nice performance with the dual core Atom and 2G RAM, along
> with twin 500G IDE drives running a software RAID mirror on a PCI card (I
> already had both, so saved the cost of SATA drives) and a DVD-RAM drive for
> backups.

That sounds good.  I'm seriously thinking of replacing my server
(Pentium 4 HT 3Ghz, with 2GB Ram and about 4 hard drives of varying
sizes) with a dual core Atom.  For the most part my server sits idle.
It does run VMWare and in that two e-mail server VM's (which when I get
round to it will be reduced to 1 VM e-mail server).  Other than that it
mainly runs Samba as file storage for the network.  I figured replacing
the box with an Atom 330 and maybe 2 or 3 large 'Green' hard drives
would substantially reduce my power usage.

Rob